Maywood is a neighborhood with old-fashioned charm that is one traffic light from D.C. Walking through the Maywood’s classic historic homes is like stepping back in time.
Considered one of the best remaining examples of an early trolley suburb, Maywood is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The neighborhood of Maywood is in Arlington, Virginia, and is bordered roughly by Lorcom Lane, Spout Run Parkway, Interstate 66, Lee Highway and N. Oakland and N. Nelson Streets.
Maywood is one of Arlington’s most beautiful and historic neighborhoods with a sense of walking back in time. Some 200 of Maywood’s roughly 350 homes were built between 1909 and 1925 with varied styles including Bungalow, Queen Anne, Tudor Revival, Foursquare and Craftsman. Maywood also includes a few small townhome, condominium and apartment complexes along Lee Highway.
Because Maywood is a historic district, homeowners must follow Arlington County Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board (HALRB) design guidelines meant to preserve the historic character of the neighborhood. That means that new homes are designed to fit into that historic character. Take an online walking tour of historic Maywood.
Search for homes in Maywood.
The Maywood Community Association is the local group that represents residents with the county. The association has regular meetings, and also offers a website, listserv with more than 450 members, and a blog to keep residents informed. There are annual events including a pot luck, July 4th parade and more.
Maywood residents are close to a wide variety of dining choices, most all walking distance along Lee Highway, including:
- Billy’s Cheesesteaks, 3907 Lee Hwy. – Serving Philadelphia-style cheesesteaks, burgers and sandwiches.
- Bistro 29, 3911 Lee Hwy. – A Mediterranean-American cafe that features live “Gypsy Jazz” on Saturday nights.
- Gaijin Ramen Shop, 3800 Lee Hwy. – Voted Best Ramen by Arlington Magazine.
- Portobellos, 2109 N Pollard St. – An American Café.
- The Italian Store, 3123 Lee Hwy. – The original location of the legendary gourmet Italian specialty shop and deli that features the best hoagies and New York-style pizza in Arlington. Trust me on this – my husband is from Philly and I’m from New York (state) and love pizza.
Starbucks, 3125 Lee Hwy.
Only a few stores are in the actual Maywood neighborhood, including Cherrydale Hardware and Safeway. But being bordered by Lee Highway there is a wide variety of stores and shopping only a walk or very short ride away, including:
- Cherrydale Hardware, 3805 Lee Hwy. – Is my go-to neighborhood hardware store and garden center. They offer excellent personalized service. You are always greeted by a store associate that asks you what you need and will go with you to get it. There’s a reason Cherrydale Hardware has been in business since 1938.
- CVS, 3133 Lee Hwy.
- Giant Food, 3115 Lee Hwy.
- Happy Grooming, 3301 Lee Hwy. – A full-service pet spa for dogs and cats.
- Safeway, 3713 Lee Hwy.
- Sun & Moon Yoga Studio, 3811 Lee Hwy. – A classic school of hatha yoga.
Getting to Metro: Arlington Regional Transit (ART) bus route 55 via Lee Highway and ART route 62 via Lorcom Lane and Spout Run Parkway provide a convenient way to reach either the Clarendon (ART 62), Ballston (ART 62) or Rosslyn (ART 55) Metro stations during morning and afternoon rush hours.
Metrobus route 3Y operates along Lee Highway with stops at the Rosslyn Metro and downtown Washington, D.C.
Biking: There are bike lanes on Lorcom Lane and Lee Highway with easy access to the Martha Custis multiuse trail. The closet Capital Bike Share station is at 3130 N Kirkwood Rd., across from the Lyon Village Shopping Center on Lee Highway. You can find bike maps and routes at Bike Arlington.
Maywood Mini Park, 3210 N. 22nd St., is a popular small park with a playground with two slides.
Thrifton Hill Park, 2814 N. 23rd St., features nature trails and access to the Custis Trail, a biking and walking asphalt trail along Interstate 66 that connects to the W&OD Railroad Regional Park Trail and the Mount Vernon Trail at Roosevelt Island.
Interested in learning more about real estate and homes for sale in Maywood? Feel free to contact me at Meg@MegRoss.com.